Q: 2010 Subaru Forester power steering does not work, battery light is on, smell of rubber from engine compartment

my steering wheel does not turn, battery light is on, slight smell of rubber from the engine. serpentine belt, probably?

It does indeed sound like your drive belt is broken. Your vehicle has two belts: one for the A/C and another for the power steering and alternator. Obviously, if the latter breaks, you no longer have power steering and your battery light will come on. The belt may have broken from wear or it may have failed as a result of another problem, such as a seized pulley. A professional, such as one from YourMechanic, can fix your belt problem.

• 2010 Subaru Forester power steering does not work, battery light is on, smell of rubber from engine compartment