Q: My S10 cranks but wont start.I have spark. New battery.Somedays it starts somedays it doesnt.Also leaves a gas smell.Help?

asked by on February 08, 2018

My truck has had spark plugs replaced, new ICM, new fuel pressure regulator, new cap and rotor, and a new battery.Some days it starts, somedays it doesnt. When it doesn't, it will still crank..have spark, lights and stereo still come on...but it just wont seem to turn over. When it actually starts and runs sometimes it makes a whining noise as i slow down at stop lights etc.It also has the smell of gas when it doesnt start...it will crank but not turn over, and as soon as i let off the ignition, whole car shakes and i hear a knock from my gas tank or at least behind me. My guess is the fuel pump or fuel filter, given Chevy' s are notrious for that from what i hear, especially if over 10 years old.I really think its a fuel issue, but im not a mechanic.Any advice is appreciated.What all could be wrong so I can narrow it down?

Fuel Pump Replacement $120.92 - $1186.72 Get a Quote
Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement $111.64 - $903.72 Get a Quote

The shaking is likely a result of the motor not firing completely and starving for fuel. It sounds like you may have a fuel supply problem in getting the proper amount of fuel to the fuel injectors. As you know, when you turn the key to on, the fuel pump is activated and the fuel system is primed with fuel at a specific pressure in order to supply the fuel injectors with enough fuel to start the motor. When this is less than what is needed in order for the motor to fire or in some cases higher than normal, you may notice an erratic fluctuation in engine RPMs, hard starting or a lack of power when accelerating as the engine may be starved for fuel if insufficient fuel pressure exists in the fuel system. This can happen when the pump itself is not working properly or when the fuel pressure regulator is not maintaining the proper fuel pressure in the fuel system causing the engine to starve for fuel. This can also happen when there is insufficient connectivity to the fuel injectors which can cause an intermittent fuel spray pattern into the intake system resulting in a lean fuel condition or the motor otherwise starving for fuel. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your fuel system.