Q: My rotor button is not pointing in the right direction

I set my engine to TDC then set the rotor cap on with the rotor button facing #1plug wire on the cap then bolt it down to the distributor without moving anything. So I turn the engine over to try and crank it and im lucky to get a backfire. I reset the engine to TDC and remove the cap and the button is facing the exact opposite of where it was aiming, what can cause this?

As a preliminary matter, please note that occasionally the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley can be in the wrong spot if the harmonic balancer has been damaged or removed improperly (that is, removed without using the right tool to hold the inner part of the balancer and not the pulley, which can twist the pulley out of position). If the timing mark is in the wrong spot—and I have seen it happen—of course you can’t properly set the initial basic ignition timing. But, from your description, it sounds like you have selected the wrong cylinder to determine top dead center (TDC) and/or you have not actually set the #1 cylinder to TDC. You can refer to some instructions for setting your engine to TDC for assistance. If after retrying, this problem still persists, please feel free to contact a mobile technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who can perform a diagnostic and resolve the issue for you.

3. My rotor button is not pointing in the right direction