Q: My muffler fell off.

asked by on October 27, 2017

So I was driving and my car got loud. My muffler was dangling. I took it off the hangers and threw it in my trunk. It's really loud now. Is it okay to drive until I get a new exhaust sometime next week?

Noise from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

There are two issues with missing mufflers: the noise and the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning. Generally, it is not recommended to drive a vehicle with any missing, or deficient, exhaust system components. So, the issue is personal safety, not the possibility of engine damage. If you desire, the muffler can be replaced on a mobile basis, at your location, which would minimize your costs. To obtain a quote and schedule service to suit your needs, please use YourMechanic’s exhaust system diagnostic/repair service request page. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.