Q: My Honda 2009 just got a new battery and new alternator 2 weeks ago. Now car starts but then shuts off in 10 seconds.

asked by on July 12, 2017

2 weeks ago my car completely died. I had my father in law change my battery. After that car still wouldn't turn on. He went ahead and called his mechanic to install a new alternator in my car since we thought that may be the issue. My car worked fine after that for 2 weeks until it completely died again. Nothing worked. I tried jumping my car but it wouldn't hold a charge. I returned my battery and got a new one. Car worked fine for about 4 days. As I got to work today my car was shaking and shut off. I tried restarting it and it turns on but then shuts off in like 10 seconds or less. the alarm still worked it just doesn't want to stay on. Any idea what the reason is?

If the alternator is not a factory new or remanufactured then you may have an alternator that is not communicating with the computer and needs computer scan to check it and replace alternator with new one that is compatible with car computer system.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr