Q: My dog vomited in my car and now there's a heater vent smell

My dog vomited in my car and I believe some of that vomits found its way into the vents of a car. I have used several different cleaning Agents but to no prevail. Help us find a product or should I use a professional to get rid of the awful smell that comes on mainly when we use the Heat. # no more stinky car

A: Hi there - you don’t mention the make, mode...

Hi there - you don’t mention the make, model or year of your vehicle, but most cars and trucks now have a "cabin air filter" which filters air re-circulated in the passenger compartment. I would replace this filter, and, while the filter is removed, spray a disinfectant (Lysol makes a version for cars) up into the HVAC ductwork, and let the blower run in the car for 10-15 minutes, with both the heater and AC functionality engaged (i.e. defrost does this). This will at least start to kill the germs, and replacing the cabin air filter will get rid of smells trapped in the old filter. Install the new filter, and hopefully most of the old smell will be gone. Don’t forget to shampoo the carpet with disinfectant where poor "Fido" had his big adventure as well!