Q: My crankshaft pulley looks like it broke/fell off as I got on the highway.

asked by on October 10, 2017

My crank shaft pulley was misaligned and I had it fixed about 1 1/2 years ago. A few days ago I noticed a squeak so I removed the serpentine belt to inspect it and the pulleys. Everything appeared fine. Replaced the serpentine belt, since it was still under warranty, and the squeak stopped. My car lasted 2 days before I heard a loud snap as I was getting on the highway and lost ac/power steering. I looked under the hood and my belt is still intact and on, but it looks like the ribbed part of the crank shaft pulley broke off/fell off so the belt doesn't spin.

Crankshaft Harmonic Balancer Replacement $136.73 - $902.93 Get a Quote

The fancy name for the crankshaft pulley is the Harmonic Balancer. It is made in three pieces, the hub is attached to the outer ring via a thin band of rubber that is held in with adhesive. when is fails, first the ring starts to slip (your squeaking sound) then it will separate entirely. The good news is you can have the Balancer replaced at your convenience by contacting YourMechanic. They will send a technician to your home or office to replace your Harmonic Balancer right there on the spot