Q: My car won't shift out of first gear at all.

asked by on July 03, 2016

Won't shift out of first gear. Was driving earlier today and was slipping and had to park on side of road and put it in park I put it back in DRIVE. And it would just rev up put tranny fluid in it and it drives just won't shift. I'm getting a transmission flush Sunday do you think that could fix it or is it something more difficult?

Not able to change gears Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Thanks for writing in about the transmission problem with your 1999 Mercedes-Benz S320. Typically the issue you’re speaking about is a result of overheating inside of the automatic transmission. The overheating can be caused by dirty transmission fluid, or low transmission fluid levels. In answering your question about whether the transmission flush will help solve this issue, the logical answer is yes – it might.

However, when transmission fluid levels drop and performance in shifting is a symptom, it can cause some internal component damage. The best thing to do is park the vehicle until the transmission flush is completed and see if that solved the problem. If not, contact a ASE certified transmission specialist that has worked on Mercedes-Benz vehicles before to have them diagnose your shifting issue and solve the problem.