Q: My car will start but won't move

asked by on February 20, 2017

My car starts fine and moves into gear without any issues but it will not move forward or backward. It has been making a strange noise for the past few weeks when I brake and shortly after but I was told this wasn't anything to be concerned about? Now that my car won't move I feel like it might have been more than what I was informed. It feels like the wheels are stuck with bricks either side of them. No lights have come up on my dashboard to indicate anything. I have read about it possibly being transmission but seen as I have already been to a mechanic and been told the noise was not an issue, I am timid about going back. Everything from turning the car on to changing gears etc feels normal, it just won't move.

Transmission fluid is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, and thank you for writing in. Your symptoms are pointing to an unresponsive transmission. When the transmission fails to respond, the first thing to do is check the level of the transmission fluid. If it is low, then there is a leak, and possibly further engine damage. You will want to start by repairing the leak, and looking for signs of further mechanical damage (can show itself as metal chunks in the transmission fluid pan). If the level of fluid is full, then you will need to look into the shift linkage both internal and external. There may also be an issue with the torque converter or the input shaft. Only further inspection will tell. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.