When my car is in drive, and I am at a stop light, foot o...

Q: When my car is in drive, and I am at a stop light, foot on brake, the car rocks back and forth. it happens after a complete stop.

asked by on November 21, 2017

When I come to a complete stop my car rocks, kind of a shaking rock back and forth. it happens when the car is in drive and my foot is on the brake. I didn't notice any unusual noises. it doesn't happen when coming to a stop, just once a complete stop is established. I haven't noticed a rise in RPM when it happens either. Is my car broken? How would I get it fixed and how much do you think it would cost?

Hi Colton. Thanks for sending in your question. The cost of repairs would depend on what’s causing these symptoms. In some cases, it’s due to debris being stuck in the transmission, that can be removed by flushing the transmission fluid and changing the filter. In other cases, this is a problem with the torque converter, a loose vacuum line or even an engine misfire. The best thing to do is to have a mechanic inspect the vehicle by completing a test drive, so they can replicate the symptoms you’re experiencing, complete an inspection and diagnose the root issue.