Q: My car overheated for the first time and now it cuts off while I'm driving what could that be?

My car overheated today so I put coolant in it and now it stops in the middle of driving and jerks when I push the gas and gets loud what could be the problem?

There are a number of things that could be wrong if the vehicle overheated. Depending on how long it was overheated for and how severe the damage was, this may have caused a blown cylinder head gasket. A blown head gasket may cause a number of different symptoms. A head gasket that fails between cylinders will generally cause a misfire and potentially compression leaks from one cylinder into another. Low compression will eventually result in a rough idling engine. When the head gasket fails between a cylinder and the coolant port, coolant may leak into the cylinder causing it to be burnt with the fuel charge in the combustion chamber. This often results in misfires on startup, especially after the engine is run, turned off and restarted and in some cases may result in the engine not maintaining enough cylinder compression to even run or start. This type of failure may not always show with a compression test. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose the symptoms you describe.

3. My car overheated for the first time and now it cuts off while I'm driving what could that be?