Q: My car is shaking , shutting off, and sputtering

asked by on March 03, 2017

What is happening is when I'm at a complete stop and reverse is shuts off. When I have it in park the car shakes forward feels like it's going to turn off and then it starts revving back up again and the tail pipe is making sputter sounds and the rpm gage isn't working

Shaking or vibration may be caused by many different things such as faulty spark plugs, poor fuel pressure or misfires. Other things such as a faulty idle air control valve may cause the engine idle to drop below the normal idling RPM which may also cause the motor to shake or vibrate more than normal. This creates a loss of power that resonates throughout the motor additionally causing other problems with ignition and fuel timing. Anytime a misfire is caused, this causes an imbalance in the motor which will cause the motor to shake or vibrate. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.