Q: My car is making a new power steering pump noise

Hello! So i have this 2001 Concorde that my girlfriend got from her grandma. Her grandma never drove this thing. Its 16 years old and only has 48,xxx miles on it, so needless to say it will be having a lot of problems.

Anyways, the first thing to go bad on this car was the power steering pump. It was making that common whining noise. So i got a new pump, new pulley for that pump, and a new drive belt. The new belt i got was a little bit smaller than the old belt, but i got it to fit. I now have everything installed and the car starts and runs just fine.

However, there is now this awful noise that shows up when i start to turn the wheel and it gets worse the more i turn it, but goes away once i return the wheel to its starting point. It sounds almost like a hedge trimmer, not really the same screeching sound as like a slipping belt or something. I tried tightening and loosening the belt to no avail. The noise is not there if i dont touch the wheel, or rev the engine. Any ideas?

It may be possible that the smaller belt is putting too much additional stress on the pump itself forcing it to work harder than it needs to. This can cause this kind of whining sound just as a pump does when it is failing or low on fluid. This may also be related potentially to the rack and pinion system if the rack is not pumping fluid through the pump as it should. When the rack does not allow fluid to flow properly, this can cause the pump to have to work harder than normal also causing this kind of whining sound. I would recommend having an expert mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to take a look at your power steering system.