Q: My car is making a chirping noise when I accelerate and turn right. It stops when I brake.

My car is making a chirping noise when I turn right and accelerate. It stops when I brake. Sometimes it is really loud and sounds like a crying dog, and other times it is just a quiet chirping noise. I have studded tires, I am wondering if they are worn if this is the problem.

The noise you are hearing is the power steering belt squealing. The belt is either loose or is glazed, and will need to be replaced. The reason you do not hear it when you are braking is because you are taking the pressure off of the power steering, causing the noise to go away.

You should check the belt for any issues like glazing, cracks, cuts, or if it is loose. If any problems are seen, have a mechanic adjust or replace the belt accordingly. On a side note, studded tires put additional stress on the power steering.

3. My car is making a chirping noise when I accelerate and turn right. It stops when I brake.