Q: My car is having problems shifting into reverse

asked by on May 12, 2016

My car is not shifting into reverse. Every other gear works, but when I try to shift into reverse, it won't slide into gear (almost as if the slot for the gear is blocked). This happens over 50% of the time that I try to shift into reverse. Sometimes it works normally, and other times it does not. Turning the car on and then off does not help. Releasing the clutch and then engaging it again does not help. I will take it to a mechanic but I would like to have some idea as to what is causing this problem. Any ideas?

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Manual transmissions use a reverse lockout to prevent the car from going into reverse when the car is moving forwards. Sometimes these lockouts can fail and cause the symptoms you have described. Other possible causes are the reverse synchros inside the transmission failing or very low transmission fluid. This problem will require thorough diagnosis for an accurate answer. A qualified technician, like the ones at YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your shifting issue and determine what needs to be repaired.