Q: how much automatic transmission fluid to switch for 2007 camry

asked by on June 08, 2017

Hi I need a automatic transmission fluid service and choose "I have part" and then saw the part requirement for the ATF fluid needs 1QT x 8. But according car menu, it should be 3.7QT. The only concern is how much automatic transmission fluid to switch for 2007 Camry 2.4L?

Hi there. I’ll try to clarify this for you as it can be a bit confusing. When you replace the standing oil (or oil inside the pan of the transmission) it typically is around 4 quarts of ATF. During a standard transmission oil change, that’s how much fluid is typically used. However, the transmission is comprised of multiple hydraulic lines that have fluid inside them under pressure. This fluid does not "drip" to the pan. It is removed during a transmission flush. The amount of transmission fluid inside these lines, the torque converter and other transmission components equals about another 4 quarts. So, when we complete a transmission fluid service, we are fully flushing all old transmission fluid from the entire unit; which is where we get the 8 quart requirement. It’s always a good idea to have the transmission fluid FLUSHED instead of simply changing 1/2 of the fluid.