Q: My car is having issues starting and running in the cold

My check engine light was on recently and the mechanic told me to replace the ignition coil,iv done this and my car is still having issues starting and running properly(i also changed my spark plugs and wires a month ago).when the engine is warm it runs fine but i cant tell if the problem is electrical or due to faulty spark plugs. Because i did install them myself but dont have the tools necessary to see of theyre no good.

Hi there. It sounds like the idle speed control motor could be struggling during a cold start. There could also be a vacuum leak that is allowing too much air into the intake during a cold start; cold starts require more fuel/ rich air/fuel ratio. When too much air enters the intake, the ratio can become too lean to maintain proper idle. Also, if the idle speed control is struggling or sticking, then this could present a problem as well. Sometimes cleaning the idle speed control motor will help, but it usually needs to be replaced eventually. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car has a rough idle inspection.

3. My car is having issues starting and running in the cold