Q: My car has an electrical issue - 2003 Chevrolet Malibu

My car is having some electrical issues. When I turn the ignition nothing happens but when I plug the hand held scanner into the obd plug the car starts. But when I unplug it the car shuts off. What can cause this?

Hello there. Your 2003 Chevrolet Malibu only starting when a scanner is plugged in is an abnormal issue. There are a few faults that can cause this type of issue. Most likely would be a short in the wiring harness, poor electrical connection, or a faulty wiring harness.

A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your electrical issues and make any repairs required to resolve them.