Q: My car engine shuts off while stopped or slowed down

My cars engine shuts down whenever I slow down or stop my car. It's not frequently but it has happened a few times. There are no indicators that anything is wrong(no check engine sign). How can I find out what the problem is if there are no indicators?

A: This is a common sign of a failing idle air...

This is a common sign of a failing idle air control valve. The idle air control valve monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed. This is all monitored by the idle air control valve. Your car seems to When the engine RPM drops below the normal range of 750-800 RPM (for most cars), this may indicate a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and repair your idle air control valve.