Q: My car does not go past 40 kmph while driving

Car starts and gears go in but once you accelerate does shift into second gear just hovers around 40 mph

This is a common problem that can be caused by a clogged catalytic converter. If the converter is clogged or partially clogged, the exhaust gasses cannot escape the engine as fast as they should and this chokes the engine. Typically, after driving a vehicle with this problem a few miles, you can look at the catalytic converter and see it glowing red hot.

This is a sure indicator that it is clogged. You must also find the problem that caused the catalytic converter to become clogged as well. Leaking fuel injectors or weak ignition system are among several causes. Consider hiring an experienced technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to inspect the car and determine why it is not getting enough power.