Q: My brother-in-law is fixing the car. First time yes it's been going on about two weeks finally the check engine light came on yesterday.

asked by on March 16, 2017

My car was being very jerky when I pressed on the gas or just driving down the road at Any different speeds. My brother-in-law replace the ignition coils and spark plugs today. When I was driving home it was still being jerky when I pressed on the gas and drive down the road. He said the plugs were covered in oil like sitting in puddles. He also said he noticed oil dripping in his driveway and he noticed more exhaust smoke than normal. What do I do

If the spark plugs are becoming coated with engine oil and there is excessive oil in the exhaust system, then there could be three symptoms to check.

Symptoms

• PCV Valve could be plugged making the engine over pressurize and forcing engine oil into the combustion chamber
  • The Piston rings could be worn causing the engine oil to puddle up onto the piston head as the engine is running
  • The Intake valve could have a valve guide that is worn and the valve guide seals could be damaged causing oil to be sucked into the engine

I recommend replacing the PCV valve first and if the symptoms return, then the engine needs to be check for the internal leak.

If you need further assistance with your exhaust system smoking with oil coming out, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.