Q: My bmw 316i has issues with the gearbox

Hi I have a BMW 316 I and when I started the car firs it did go to firs gear but the won't go to second so I hade to put it in 3 th gear to move of the road . after a few minutes I stoped and she I put back to gear 1st or second the car won't move . can you help me is it the gear box or just something to do with cluch . thank you .

Hello. From what you describe it would appear that your vehicle may be having an issue with the transmission, possibly with the gearbox. It may be possible that the clutch is worn, though that would likely affect first gear more than any other, and would have an affect on all of the gears. As the transmission only appears to have issues with going into second gear, it may be possible that the synchronizer rings, or the actual gears for second gear inside of the transmission, have worn out and can no longer engage properly. Usually the issue will progress from difficult engaging, into grinding, into no longer being able to engage at all. As these sorts of issues can sometimes be difficult to diagnose, due to them being internal, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to determine what the exact cause of the shifting problem may be.

3. My bmw 316i has issues with the gearbox