Q: My battery light is on.

My car died a few weeks ago and I thought it was because I needed a jump. I had a jump but the battery died (I don't think it was fully charged). That day, the car died and I purchased a new battery. The car worked fine but a few days later the battery light came on. Yesterday, the battery light was on as I was driving and I noticed that my car was feeling sluggish... eventually, the car ran out of power and died. I had to take the battery to Autozone where they charged it for 2 hrs and said the battery was fine. I drove the car as normal but the light remained on. This morning, the light was on when I turned the car on but then it went off... Could this be the wires that plug into the battery (they were very rusted and corroted and I was only able to replace 1 of the 2)... I googled what couuld cause this, and I saw that it could be the alternator. How do I know and get a quote on this repair? My milage is over 220K...not sure on what is the exact milage.

A: The problem is not the battery, but the cha...

The problem is not the battery, but the charging system is not keeping the battery recharged. The alternator is the most common cause of this, though failing battery cables can also be a cause. I would recommend having the battery cables and alternator tested and checked by a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, who will come to you and diagnose the problem for you. Do not try and drive it or it will leave you stranded from the battery going dead again. The cables to the battery from the alternator may be bad or the alternator is not charging. Only the testing and diagnosis will reveal the problem.