Q: My air conditioner works intermittently

asked by on November 09, 2015

My air conditioner only works some of the time. When it does work, it's like there's nothing wrong. Why is it unreliable?

There is nothing more frustrating than your air conditioner giving out on you when trying to stay cool. The first step is to take is to have a mechanic come out to check your refrigerant with special gauges designed to plug into the A/C system. If the refrigerant reads low, the mechanic will need to inject a special dye to find out where the leak is coming from. Low refrigerant can cause the A/C system to cycle on and off, prevents the A/C compressor from doing its job, which leaves you with unreliable air conditioning. The repair typically involves replacing the leaky part and adding the proper amount of refrigerant back into the system.