Q: Q: Car won't turn over

Car has a new starter, but will not turn over. The battery also is good.

Hello, when a vehicle doesn’t start,there are two things to check, the base engine and the electrical circuits to the starter motor. The base engine is easy to check, by seeing if the crank rotates with a ratchet and socket on the damper bolt. If the crank fails to turn, a base engine problem needs to be looked at. For the starter there are two wires at the starter, a big red wire that usually comes from the battery and a smaller wire that is connected to the solenoid. The larger wire should have 12v at all times and the smaller wire should have 12v with the key in the start position. If there is no power present at the starter at either wire then some electrical testing will need to be performed. With no power present and the smaller wire the circuit will have to be traced back to a relay and the relay traced back to the ignition switch. You may need the aid of a mechanic to check the motor and the electrical system of the starter.

3. Q: Car won't turn over