Q: My car ran out of gas, and now it will not crank

At first i had just ran out of gas (had half a tank left) but wouldn’t start so i filled 2 gas jugs filled up my tank and got a jump bc the priming alone wasnt enough so it finally started but for the first minute it was white smoke coming out the exhaust after he had started into it was fine then later that day i was leaving out and my acceleration cut off while i was driving and the car still was on so i began to cut off but car would not crank it turns over sometimes starts but cute back off electric work in car 2001 Volkswagen passat gls

Sounds like a series of unfortunate events. Cars made in this century have the fuel pumps in the tank. The fuel passes through the inside of the pump motor and serves to cool and lubricate the pump while it is running. If you allow a high mileage car to run out of gas,often the pump will overheat and be damaged. You might be having a problem with this. But don’t run out and buy a new fuel pump just yet, it sounds like you are having some other issues that are preventing you from cranking the car. To get this sorted out without spending money on parts that you might not need, you can contact YourMechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your starting problem and let you know what is the solution.

3. My car ran out of gas, and now it will not crank