Q: my 2005 nissan maxima temperature goes from normal to Hot, then goes back to normal? what are those signs of?

asked by on December 22, 2016

First of all, i noticed it was a little difficult to turn to wheel.I also heard a different sound. I had a mechanic take a look, he indicated that there was a leak in the power steering. Financially, I have been band-aid on it by monitoring it's fluid levels. So lately, I've been noticing it seems for the heater to take extra long to "HEAT" up. I do realize it takes a bit to warm up, but a bit longer now. Also, while driving I noticed the temperature is fluxuating from normal to HOT, it then goes back down to normal while driving

What does this sound like?

Hello. Thank you for writing in. It is most likely that you are experiencing two separate issues. The vehicle’s cooling system will fluctuate when the system does not have proper coolant flow. This may happen when the water pump is starting to go out, or if the thermostat is not sticking when it should be opening and closing. The coolant level should also be checked. Make sure it is full and the coolant is in good condition. The water pump can be tested with a pressure gauge, or other method depending on the tools at hand. The thermostat is typically just replaced, although it too can be tested outside of the vehicle. Either way, further testing must be done. Be careful with how warm you let the engine get, as an overheated engine can cause irreversible damage. For more help resolving the issue, contact our service department.