Q: Crushed Oil Filter

Hello Team, Can using a different viscosity of Engine oil other than the one recommended cause the crushing of the paper oil filter?. The recommended oil is SAE 5W-30 and i used SAE 20W-50.

Yes it could, the filter was designed for the thinner oil. Running the extra thick oil will starve your engine bearings of the necessary oil for lubrication. The thick oil will cause you to burn less oil due to the piston rings leaking oil but it will damage the engine more than it will help. If you’d like to have your oil and filter serviced correctly, have one of our mobile technicians come to your home or office to do so.