Q: My 2005 accord Honda will turn over but if I don't keep my foot on the gas it dies with a loud clattering from the engine. Any ideas?

Car has been acting strange lately. Heat doesn't work, check engine and maintenance required light has been on for a while. When I start the car it won't stay on unless I keep my foot on the gas. It's very cold around here probably around 30 degrees most days. I did not put antifreeze in it, and the battery is old, though my dad exchanged it for another used battery. Loud clicking/pattering comes from engine.

Hi there. First you would want to check the computer for any codes. The check engine light is on for something has failed or is failing in the vehicle. For the heater not working, check the heating system and see what works and what is not working. Since you said that you have not put any coolant in the radiator, then there may not be enough coolant to reach the heater core. There could be many reasons for the engine to stumble when not throttling, but the most common is a vacuum leak. Check all of the vacuum hoses and make sure that they are secured and tight. See if the hoses are cracked or broken with holes in them. Replace any vacuum hoses that are stiff and cracked or broken. The codes that would be stored in the computer may have logic for the stumbling of the engine and point you in the right direction for diagnosing your vehicle. Check the battery for a full charge. Make sure that the battery is charged at 12.6 volts. If the battery is less than 12.4 volts, then I recommend charging or replacing the battery. Sometimes a bad battery will cause the engine to shut down due to lack of power to support the fuel and ignition systems. If you need further assistance with your engine stumbling, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. My 2005 accord Honda will turn over but if I don't keep my foot on the gas it dies with a loud clattering from the engine. Any ideas?