Q: My 1990 Toyota pick up 4WD will not run

The people I got it from put a new timing chain and timing gears and they said they timed it on the distributor. You can spray gas in the throttle body. It will run for a few minutes but it has no power it acts like it don't get enough gas to keep it running.. they say they put a new fuel pump but I don't know for sure. they say if they put a new fuel pump I don't know for sure. I had it running long enough one time and that's how I know it didn't have no power now it won't run at all.

Hi there. You’ve got some work cut out for you. It sounds like either the timing chain could be out of time or the distributor is not timed correctly.

First, set cylinder 1 to top dead center and remove the distributor. Double check you have cylinder 1 at top dead center. With the distributor and cap removed, inspect the distributor shaft for a small opening on the side.

Once you’ve located the small opening on the side of the shaft and can see the internal shaft rotate the rotor until you see a an indented line on the inner shaft align with the opening.

Install the distributor, making sure the adjusting bolt is in the middle. Do not worry about the rotor shaft turning when the gear engages inside the engine as this is normal. Install the cap, install a timing light, start the engine, and set the ignition timing.

If the engine still does not start, reset cylinder 1 to top dead center, remove the valve cover, and check to see that the timing mark on the cam gear is in the 12 o’clock position in relation to the engine.

If it is not, then the timing chain may be off and will need to be reset. If none of these are the cause, then there could be other underlying causes that may need an experienced technician. If you need help having this sorted out, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the loss of power and assist with proper repairs.