Q: Fuse box modification.

asked by on November 15, 2016

My 10A fuse does not fit in the slot. Under the hood. I'm trying to add a 10A for my steering wheel heater. I noticed it was empty. I made sure I looked at the fuse diagram and that is the same slot. When I plug in 10a fuse into slot, it is loose, like it doesn't lock in like the other fuses. I tried other 10a slots and the same 10a fuse does fit and lock into place. What should I do?

Hi there - from your description, it sounds like there is no electrical socket in the fuse block in this position. Manufacturers used to include wiring for all possible options when the vehicle was built - using a single wiring harness for all vehicles. This is (mostly) no longer the case, they can create different wiring harnesses at lower cost. Using a flashlight and voltmeter, make sure there is a fuse socket in the location you have targeted, and that one side or the other of the socket has 12 volts to it. Then you can add wiring for the accessory you wish to power up. Make sure the wire you use has a higher current capacity than the fuse rating so you do not overheat the wiring and risk fire damage. Good luck!