My 01 MDX loses power while driving at any given point, t...

Q: My 01 MDX loses power while driving at any given point, trying to step on gas does not work. When i pull over and shut off engine

asked by on May 02, 2017

I have a 01 Acura MDX, and it loses power while driving. I can feel a jerk as soon as its about to do it. When it loses power and i try to give it gas it just wont accelorate and battery along with oil ligth turn on. When RPM hits zero the engine shutts off. So i put it on park and turn the key to the off position. Then i have to wait anywhere from 5 to 10 min before i can fire it up again. When it comes back on the battery and oil ligth turn off and the car runs good until it decides to it again. Its funny cause the check engine never comes on so i cant get the scanner to tell me whats wrong. I already replaced fuel pump and temperature sensor. When i replaced the temperature sensor the truck worked great for a week until it did again. The problem is getting worst because now it does it more frequently. I drive and hour to work and it loses power about 2 times in the morning and 4 times in the afternoon. Please help i dont know what to do anymore and my mechanic either.

Hi there. Since there are a variety of issues that can cause a loss of power, it is vital to narrow down the issue to a particular system. Based on hat you’ve described, I would assume that the primary system causing this issue is the fuel system. A few items to be checked would include fuel injectors being clogged with excessive carbon deposits, a dirty or damaged throttle body or EGR valve that is damaged or also dirty. It might be best to have one of our mobile mechanics come to your location and complete a loss of power inspection to isolate this problem.