Q: Multiple misfire codes and hard shifting

asked by on October 10, 2016

I am at a loss.. I recently bought a used 2002 durango 4.7. On driving it home, of course i punched it. The motor immediately seemed to "bog" out, the rpms went nuts, and the truck violently shudders. I went by autozone to check the code, came back a p0351, and p0301. Sp i bought an ignition coil and plug. When i took the old plug out, it was visibly damaged, the side looked like it had broken out. So i replaced the plug and coil. Reset the codes, immediately the p0351 came back on. Its really hard to describe, but the engine makes a really loud sucking sound on acceleration. If gently accelerating, it will crawl through gears. But if i accelerate hard, the rpms goes nuts, the whole truck shudders. Now, if i release the gas, and press it again, i can "manually" shift it....im sure the code and shifting issues are seperate, but i dont know enough about either....ive changed the coil and plug, and honestly cant afford a mechanic. As of right now, i have a 0456,0300, 0301, and 0351 code.

Hello. I would start by doing a compression test. From the codes you are getting to the way that is is running and the sound that you hear it sounds like you have a failed valve seat. When this occurs the valve will not close properly and the seat may be inside of the engine damaging the piston. This is very common. If the compression test comes back fine, then there may be an electrical issue with one of the grounds. If you need to have this looked at in person, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the codes and move forward with the proper repairs.