Q: Minivan shutting down; cleaned IAC

My minivan has been shutting down and I need some help. It happened over and over in traffic this week. A friend who changes my oil said it might be the IAC. He cleaned that part with a Q-tip. Then we drove it on the interstate to test it. No problems. In your expertise, do you think this fixed it and will continue, or should I expect another shut down?

A: Hello. It is possible that cleaning the Id...

Hello. It is possible that cleaning the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve would fix this problem permanently. However, because it is not likely that all of the dirt was cleaned out the IAC valve it may fail again. It would be a good idea to have the IAC valve replaced with a new one to avoid further problems with the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect your car and pinpoint what's causing your vehicle to shut down.