Q: Metal-on-metal sound in wheels

There is a metal-on-metal rubbing sound that’s coming from one of my rear wheels. At lower speeds it is much louder. It’s summertime now, but it did sit a good bit during earlier months and was only driven a few times by a neighbor (I had to be out-of-town for 3 months). I’m thinking that a caliper in the brake might have seized because one of the rear ones has some rust on it. Do you agree, or what do you think the problem is?

Hi there. It sounds like you may be on the right track. It may be a bad caliper or worn out brake pads. I would remove the rear wheels and check the brakes. Your GTI may need new brake pads if they are low or unevenly worn. If they are uneven then it may need a caliper. If the vehicle has been sitting for a while it may just have rust built up on the pads and should be fine after driving for a while. I would check the brakes prior to this though. If you want to have them checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the cause of the issue.

3. Metal-on-metal sound in wheels