Q: matching an engine to a transmission

asked by on October 23, 2017

i'm replacing my engine in my truck. what do I need to look for in matching up my tranny with an engine

Hi Justin. Thanks for contacting us tonight. Anytime you are swapping out one OEM major component with a new one, it’s always best to replace with the same component. For example, your 88 Dodge D150 appears to be powered by a V6 - 3.9 Liter engine. You’ll want to verify with any engine you purchase is the same Dodge V6, originally from the same year D150. A great resource for learning more about this engine is this website. If you are keeping the OEM transmission, make sure the replacement engine is the same 3.9 V6.