Q: Low gas mileage

asked by on September 09, 2016

My car has gone 33,000 miles and it's been running great. However, I've been getting lower gas mileage than I expected. I was told that the cause is the chrome wheels. However, the wheels are aluminum and alloy with new tires. I was also told that it is due to my driving in the city, but I disagree as I know people who drive in the city most of the time and get much better gas mileage than me. I'm currently getting 16 MPG on average and the vehicle is supposed to get over 21 MPG. I had the codes read and no error codes appeared. Is there a way to improve the gas mileage?

Hello. The fuel mileage rating on most vehicles is a rating estimate of the fuel mileage you should get. The problem with this rating you see in the windshield is based on city or highway driving. Both of these ratings are done in a controlled manner with no A/C or accessories used during the test. Your actual mileage will vary depending on the traffic congestion, traffic lights per mile, and other things like tires and tire pressures. Even the altitude you are at will get better mileage in higher altitudes and less if you live near sea levels. If you would like to have this looked at further, a qualified expert from YourMechanic can come to the site of your car to diagnose the fuel economy concern.