Q: Losing oil, metal particles on filter, and bad gas mileage - 2014 Infiniti Q50

My car has an automatic transmission and it's gone only 37,000 miles. The gas mileage I've been getting lately was around 12 MPG only. I regular change the oil in the car. Each time, I was told that the car runs through oil quickly. The last time, there were metal particles in the filter. What is causing this? Is there a way to prevent this as the car is relatively new?

A: Hello. It is common for the this engine to ...

Hello. It is common for the this engine to use oil and get poor fuel mileage. Unfortunately, it is an inherent property for this model. As for the metal, this is not normal. If there is metal in the oil and filter, then there is some abnormal wear going on. I usually take a sample of the oil to have it tested for the type of metal that is in it. This would tell me if it is bearing material or something else. Because the car is fairly new and because this could be a problem with the vehicle’s design, your best bet may be to have the vehicle taken to the dealer to see what findings they come up with.