Q: Losing Oil

My 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 seems to be needing oil added way to frequently. There are no spots on the driveway or engine, and it does not smoke. Not sure when the pcv valve was last changed, would this be a good start?

A: There can be can be a few reasons for the v...

There can be can be a few reasons for the vehicle to use excessive oil. There would first need to be a few questions answered before a determination is made about the engine using too much oil.

The first thing to do is to check the engine completely for any oil leaks. Then any services such as a PCV valve inspection needs get done along with a fresh new oil change with the correct amount and type put into the engine. The vehicle is driven normally and the oil level will be monitored. Then, when any oil has to be added, the amount is documented and the mileage driven is documented.

The mileage and oil usage should then be analyzed to see if the usage is excessive according to the manufacturer guide. Most engines will use a quart of oil or less in 1,000 miles and is considered normal. If there is more oil usage than what the manufacturer says is normal then you have an issue that should be diagnosed.

The most common cause of excessive oil usage besides leaks are the piston rings not sealing as well as they used to from engine wear causing them to use and burn up more oil. If the rings, valve guides, and seals get worn, then the oil usage goes up until the point you notice that too much oil is being used.

To have this properly repaired, I would recommend having a technician inspect the system in person. A mechanic from YourMechanic can visit your home or office to diagnose your oil issue and make the correct repairs to have this issue resolved.