Q: Lock on tailgate door doesn't always unlock

The lock on the tailgate door doesn't always unlock.

A: Hi there. There are two common causes of lo...

Hi there. There are two common causes of lock issues on this vehicle. Most of the time it is because the lock actuator itself is failing. I have had quite a few of these fail and intermittently will not lock or unlock the door. I have also had this occur if the vehicle has ever been in a rear-end collision. If the rear door is not aligned properly then the latch has issues making good contact which in turn affects the locking mechanism.

In order to diagnose this, a mechanic would remove the rear hatch door panel and inspect the door's connections while locking and unlocking the door to verify which component is not working. It can also be a partially broken wire entering the door. If you are not comfortable taking the door apart then I would enlist the assistance of a certified mechanic who knows how to do this, like one from YourMechanic.