klunking sound from drivers front wheel. my wife hit a sp...

Q: klunking sound from drivers front wheel. my wife hit a speed bump and the klunking started. there is a broken wire behind the whee

asked by on August 21, 2017

WIFE TOOK CAR. COMING BACK SHE HIT A SPEED BUMP. SHE SAID THE FRONT DRIVER SIDE WHEEL IS KLUNKING. I TOOK IT OUT AND IT IS CONSTANTLY KLUNKING. I PARKED THE CAR AND TURNED THE TIRE OUTWARD. ON THE INSIDE I FOUND A BROKEN WIRE HANGING. THE BROKEN SIDE WAS TO THE WHEEL. WILL IT BE SAFE TO DRIVE THIS SLOWLY UNTIL I CAN GET IT TO MY MECHANIC?

The broken wire is to the wheel speed sensor as part of the antilock brake system. Depending on the other damage that is done you should be able to drive it slowly. The clunking is the wheel speed sensor is causing the ABS to engage the wheel thinking the wheel is locking up. Once you replace the sensor then you should not have the knocking noise anymore.