Q: key won't start engine

This past week I have been having trouble starting the car. It was struggling while turning the key to start. Then the other day I tried and it wouldn't even unlock with the remote. I tried the blade key, tried to turn it and it turned. The dashboard lit up very briefly, then it died. Now I can't get the key to turn assuming the infrared isn't turning on to see the key. I tried the jumper cables with my friends car and still couldn't turn the key. The battery is not more than a year old and the same thing happened a year ago. All we did was replace the battery. Can a battery be too dead to jump? Do I need to go buy a battery charger and charge it overnight and try turning the key again tomorrow? If not, can I go buy a new battery use cables to charge the battery as it sits in the car and then return the battery?

It is possible that you could have one of two issues. You could be experiencing a bad alternator problem that is causing your battery to be drained and become faulty well before it should be. In this case, I would recommend having an electrical systems check to determine if the alternator is performing as it should.

This test may involve the use of a digital multimeter to first test the battery for proper voltage. If the battery does not have proper voltage it may need to be charged or replaced in order to start the vehicle.

Once the vehicle is started, the alternator output can then be tested with the digital multimeter. Another way to test the alternator would be on a machine that is available at most auto parts stores. This test would require the removal of the alternator from the vehicle.

The other possibility is that you could be experiencing a parasitic draw. A parasitic draw is when something electronic is drawing power from the battery while the engine is off. This would be something other than the alarm system and certain memory functions that are low draw features and are supposed to be drawing power when the vehicle is off.

I would recommend having this issue checked out by qualified technician who can performs these checks and pinpoint your starting issue firsthand.