Q: Key not starting car

asked by on March 25, 2016

I turn my key in the ignition and nothing happens. The lights do come on.

Hi, it sounds like your battery is too low on charge to get the engine started. The battery would still be able to power lights and other small things, but turning the engine over takes a lot of power. If you have access to a voltmeter you can test the battery. The minimum voltage a battery needs to run the starter is typically 9.6v so anywhere around there and you will have trouble getting the engine going. You can try jumpstarting the car or charging the battery for a few hours. If that doesn’t help, one of our certified technicians here at YourMechanic would be able to help you get your car started.