Q: Key getting stuck in ignition of a 2002 Mazda MPV

My key will not come out of the ignition without me having to disconnect the battery to release it. My automatic sliding door also went out at the same time that the key started getting stuck.

A: Hello. There is a safety interlock switch i...

Hello. There is a safety interlock switch in the gear select linkage system. It prevents key removal if the vehicle is not in Park. If that switch is misaligned, has failed, or its connector is dirty or has failed, the interlock control unit is tricked into thinking you’re not in Park, and it will prevent key removal. It’s called the transmission range switch (TRS) and is mechanically linked to the shift console via a cable. The link setup is adjustable at the transmission interface.

Normal linkage wear and tear can eventually de-index the linkage to the point where, while the shift lever is in Park, the transmission range switch position is still in the Reverse sector, so the key is locked into the ignition. I suggest hiring a qualified technician to repair your stuck key.