Q: Keep burning out ac clutches

asked by on June 29, 2016

I keep putting ac clutches in and they keep working at idle then when we get on the highway they burn up and melt all the rubber out of the clutch, I am thinking that it is the high limmit switch causing the compressor to stay on and over pressuring the system and burning the clutch up, I am ordering the switch does this sound like a viable solution?

The clutch is burning up due to slip of the clutch overheating the clutch and melting the rubber. The reason it is slipping is the compressor locking up at the higher RPMs. You will need to reclaim the A/C refrigerant and disconnect an A/C line to see if there is black or dark grey residue in the system. This is due to the desiccant in the received drier coming apart and clogging the entire A/C system. The A/C will need to be repaired following technical repair bulletin 24-005-03 for an A/C compressor failure dated 2004-06-01. This TSB covers replacing components and flushing out the desiccant out of others. I recommend going to your local dealer to see if they will take care of this issue for you.