Q: Is the BMW 128i reliable, especially because of its 6-cylinder engine?

asked by on October 09, 2016

I am researching actual Maintenence costs on BMW 128is

Hi, thanks for writing in. Yes, the N52 engine is, generally speaking, a well-developed engine; less complex, and more maintenance-free engine than the newer turbocharged engines available in the 1-series. Make sure the Valvetronic gear (variable valve timing) has NO issues before purchasing the car - assuming you are purchasing a pre-owned vehicle. The variable valve timing gear can be a bit more maintenance intensive with higher mileage. This engine, in the 1-series chassis, will still deliver a very sporty ride. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home or office to perform a pre-purchase car inspection for you. Enjoy!