Q: Is it easy to replace the drove belt

Car overheated and power stearing went out. Drive belt broken.

The belt can be replaced on a DIY basis if you understand the proper removal of the spring loaded tensioner and know what to look for in terms of inspecting all of the rotating elements and pulleys. You have to be sure a seized (or failing) rotating element did not in fact cause the belt to break, thus necessitating other repairs, such as pulley or idler replacement or perhaps even water pump replacement. Also, all rotating elements must be inspected to be sure that everything is operating in the same plane so that the belt runs straight. Please note that the engine cooling thermostat can be damaged during an episode of overheating. You should consider replacing the thermostat to avoid further problems.

The drive belt powers the alternator, a/c compressor, water pump and the power steering. When the belt broke, all of those accessories stopped functioning, thus accounting for both the overheating the loss of power assist. In all probability you just need a new serpentine belt. You can obtain a new serpentine belt by requesting serpentine belt replacement. Of course, until you obtain a new belt, be sure not to drive the car because with no serpentine belt driving the water pump, the car will overheat for sure and that can easily warp the cylinder head and/or engine block causing costly damage. If you request serpentine belt replacement a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, will get the belt issue resolved for you promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Is it easy to replace the drove belt