Q: Is a new transmission really needed?

I scheduled my 2006 4Runner for an oil change and the day before, I needed to drop the car off at the shop and the "check engine" light went on. Switching from 1st gear to 2nd gear was difficult at times with car.

I paid for the diagnosis which was about $150 and they gave me the following codes: P0771, P0774, P0938. Can someone explain why they are recommending transmission replacement for $4,000?!!!

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. I'm not sure...

Hi, thanks for writing in. I'm not sure if you absolutely need a new transmission. Although you've listed several error codes, it is possible that many of those repairs could be solved by changing the sensors, flushing the transmission fluid, and completing a few other transmission services. However, if there is damage to internal transmission components, it may be necessary to replace those parts as well. The best bet is for you to have a transmission specialist look at your vehicle for you.