Q: Intermittently, dashboard and interior lights do not work

The digital dashboard lights and also the interior lights are continually going on and off. They seem to be connected. When I open the door, if the interior lights come on, so do the dashboard lights; if the interior lights do not come on, neither do the lights on the dashboard. When the dashboard does come on, it says, “Lighting Problem.” Another thing that happens when the dash is on is the switch that is supposed to dim the brightness level does not work. What would be causing this and how do I fix it?

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1988 Oldsmobile Toronado. This is something that would require first hand inspection for complete diagnosis. However, there is a technical service bulletin (TSB) that may pertain to your issue. The TSB is number 89-T-129 and it deals with an "Electrical Problem" message on the message display and erratic air conditioning operation. The solution is to replace the HVAC control module with an upgraded one. There is also another TSB 89-T-140 which deals with intermittent climate control and instrument cluster operation due to a faulty solder joint in central power supply. The fix is to replace the unit with an upgraded model. I recommend having the pros at YourMechanic diagnose the electrical issues and repair this problem for you.