Q: Intermittent throttle position vs acceleration -- either a lot or a little to accelerate from a stop and maintain speed.

mostly truck requires what i consider a lot of pedal push to accelerate from a stop and maintain speed. occasionally it drives "perfect". the amount of throttle to accel and cruise is normal to me.

I considered closed/open loop issues but the issue occurs at any time cold/hot or otherwise I incorrectly identified the map sensor as being bad (didn't account for altitude) and so replaced. After getting tired of researching egr valve as a possiblity I swapped it with a new one. I've done a vacuum check and fuel pressure check. fuel pressure was at 56/58 for [on not running]/[idling] all checked out.

possible related issues

engine does a single "shake" occasionally

also when cruise is set and truck reaches 5th gear it will refuse to down shift unless speed drops by 5 at which point it down shifts 2 gears. Cruise responds normal as long as it doesn't reach 5th gear and TC lockup. Took voltmeter to throttle controller and noticed wide open throttle yet still no down shift

3. Intermittent throttle position vs acceleration -- either a lot or a little to accelerate from a stop and maintain speed.